By Swachid K Rangan
India that is Bharat, reconstituted into a Gandhian republic based on his concept of "gram swaraj" or Village
Self government, is Rebel India, free of corruption, hunger, ignorance and
Mahatma Gandhi was the foremost rebel in the world. All his life he rebelled
against untruth, injustice, oppression and discrimination. In South Africa, he led an Indian civil
rights uprising against the racist authorities. It was nothing short of a
rebellion. Similarly, the Indian Freedom Movement was also a massive rebellion
guided by him.
The word ‘Rebel’ is usually associated with violence. But Gandhi doused it with his non-violence principle and turned it as
a potent weapon of defiance. He called it Satyagraha. Now it has become a means
of protest all over the world against the authorities. The Rebel India Movement will campaign for
the alternate political, economic , educational and social setup that prevails
in the country. Serious flaws are pointed out by many people in the system and drastic
changes are called for to ensure food security, water, housing, quality
education and health care for all. [See
articles on Gandhian Thoughts on www.swachid.com]
To accomplish this task, the Rebel India movement has an action plan.
1. Change over to partyless Presidential form of government instead of the present multiparty parliamentary democracy where unprincipled and
opportunistic political parties rule the roost.
2. Each of the 535 districts of India will be declared as a sovereign republic as in Switzerland which is a confederation of sovereign independent Cantons.
3. The district councils will elect a president who will nominate a suitable person to the national
parliament. The parliament will elect a president for a 5 year term and he will
have absolute authority without the pulls and pressures of political parties or
coalition partners as there will be no political parties.
4. Elections will be held every 5 years only to the panchayats of the villages and towns. The Gram sabha or the Nagar Sabha will elect
a president and a 7 member panchayat. [Where there are more than two
contestants, the majority will be decided by preferential voting.]
5. The president will also serve as a councillor of the district council.
6. The country’s economy is widely seen as the most mismanaged and devised to benefit only the privileged
class of people, big industrialists and foreign investors. People are kept in
poverty forever. A vast majority of people live in thatched hutments and hovels
in the cities. They are forever forced to depend on government doles for their
food and other means of livelihood. The agriculture economy is ruined by the
expansion of industries and encroachment of urban complexes.
7. The divide between the super rich and poor is growing with extremists stepping into the gap. The economic policy of Rebel
India will seek to narrow down this gap by raising the minimum wages to at least
Rs 1 Lakh a year or Rs 300 a day and siphoning of surplus funds from the rich
to be used for development projects.
Those having income beyond Rs 10 Lakhs will be required to deposit the amount
in a lifetime savings plan called “Public Investment and Deposit Insurance Corporation”
[PIDIC] which will be wholly owned by
the Union Government.
8. After one year, the depositors will get 10% interest annually and after 30 years of maturity the entire amount will be paid back to them or to
their nominees. There will be no direct
taxes on personal income.
9. Those who are earning between Rs 1 Lakh and Rs 10 Lakh a year will be required to deposit a percentage of the income with the PIDIC. The advantage of this plan is that besides
getting a regular amount every year as interest, at the time of old age, the
depositors will get a substantial amount which will give them financial
- Rebel India will revamp the education system that will really be
purposeful. Regular schools will be
run for students from standard 6 onwards.
Primary education will be provided by RISS in association with
SWACHID Academy of Enhanced Education.
- Children upto age of 10 will acquire at single teacher home schools writing and reading ability in three or
four languages – Mother Tongue,
English, Hindi and Sanskrit/Urdu.
- Teachers and students will be enrolled in regular schools for the continuation of
education from the 6 standard onwards.
After the primary school the children will study in classrooms upto
8 standard where they will be prepared for public examination. And a middle
school certificate will be issued to them.
Most of the unskilled labor force will benefit from this middle
school level learning and they can go in for vocational training in jobs
like driving, plumbing, etc.
- There will be public examination at the end of Standard 10 where the student will
be given secondary school leaving certificate. Those who qualify will be eligible for
jobs in the government and the private sector and also take training in
various vocational jobs.
- All the schools will be upgraded to college level after SSLC. Students will undergo a three or
four year curriculum which will
take them upto arts, commerce and
science subjects. They will sit for
the university exams and obtain bachelor’s degrees.
- By this system, the university college complexes will be available for higher
education in various professions and post graduate courses. This will put an end to the present
system where the students have to run from pillar to post to seek
admission in professional colleges.
Education at all levels will be free.
Rebel India Security Services(RISS)
- Rebel India will create a Rebel India Security Services which will be a non-
governmental organization. They
will recruit anyone who is seeking a job including the extremists. They will be given training in
appropriate skills and put on regular wages.
- The RISS will be made responsible for maintaining peace and protecting public
property. The RISS cadre will not
carry any weapons. They will work
with local police force in maintaining law and order, and any activity disturbing public peace will be considered as a
- The Indian Penal Code will be replaced by a new punishment code where there
will be only one verdict – that is 15 days to 15 years of hard labour in
any of the RISS projects. The
convicts will be paid daily wages with which they will have to buy their
own food and support their families if necessary. Corruption will be considered as a
- RISS will also oversee the maintenance of infrastructure such as roads,parks and
other public utility services.
- There will be no restriction for joining this movement, either by age or by learning,
but the youth between the ages of 18 and 35 should be persuaded to get
involved in this Rebel India movement as the future of the country is at
stake for them.
- RISS will undertake a massive housing project and build a network of canal
system. The existing canals will be
made navigable by widening and deepening. Every district will be ringed by
a canal which should be linked to the nearest reservoir or water body so
that there will always be enough water in the system. Besides recharging the underground water
level, the canal will provide a cheap means of transport for the benefit
of the rural people.
- Alongside the canal, a housing complex will
be built patterned after the railway coaches that can be upto a length of
upto 1 km and 20 feet wide so that it can be divided into several apartments
with good ventilation. It can accommodate
atleast 100 families with educational, medical and other facilities for
- There will be two categories of RISS workers.
One, voluntary and the other – fulltime paid. The voluntary workers will spend atleast
one day a week with the RISS supervising the projects and engage
themselves in public service.
- RISS will be a buffer between public and the authorities. The public have many grievances but the
authorities are mostly insensitive.
The RISS will take up the grievances with the appropriate authorities
and will ensure that the issues get redressal. Thus the direct confrontation between
the public and the authorities will be avoided.
- The RISS will derive its authority from President of India and the Presidents of
the district-states. The government
will use RISS as a conduit to reach the people with whatever benefits they
- The RISS will follow our guideline ‘WHAT IS NOT RIGHT, WE WILL SET IT RIGHT’.