GandhiTopia

Mahatma Gandhi Community Forum

One of the greatest men in the history of India is unarguably Mahatma Gandhi. The way he gave shape and character to India's freedom struggle is worthy of a standing ovation. He sacrificed his own  pertsonal and family life for the sake of his country.  Mahatma Gandhi played a pivotal role in the freedom struggle of India. His non violent ways and peaceful methods were the foundation for gaining independence from the British.

In the light of the major movements and freedom struggles of Gandhiji like  Non Co-operation Movement,Civil Disobedience Movement,Quit India Movement, entire India was united together in the movement for freedom. Everyone contributed what they could in the freedom struggle and  after much  sacrifices and efforts, India gained its independence on the 15th August, 1947.

But the question is " Was Mahatma Gandhi really very happy at the moment when India gained its independence?"

Views: 1979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No he was not. in fact he was in deep sorrow. because he wanted India united and Hindu -Muslim brothers living together. but this could not happen. Many people that India's Partition is due to Gandhi. This is a very wrong belief they have. People like us must take initiative to tell people that Gandhi was a person who was opposing this partition the most.

Yes. Gandhiji was not at all happy in that moment.  In fact Mahatma Gandhi has not attended 1st Indian independence celebrations. He went to Bangal to face the religious riots and to bring harmony between these two religions. Never Mahatma  Gandhi was happy. In fact he was so restless so he could not even stay at Sabarmati Ashram or he could see the celebrations. He went Noakhali where the severe madness and killings were taking place. He stayed in those villages he went and talked with them in those areas. Bangal villages were in full fire. He was warned requested to go back but he wanted to bring peace at any cost so he went by village by walk to face the religious terrorism face to face. -

He was not happy freedom with partitioned country

He was not happy. Because of partition. He wanted complete independent. Which did not come.

On August 15, 1947, Gandhi wrote a letter to his friend Agatha Harrison in London saying that “my way of celebrating great events, such as today’s, is to thank God for it and, therefore, to pray”.

To a question if he followed the debates in the British parliament on the Indian Independence bill. Gandhi said he did not get time to read newspapers; in any case, he commented, “What does it matter, who talks in my favour or against me, if I myself am sound at bottom?”

This is that letter which mention by Respected Balaji

LETTER TO AGATHA HARRISON
BELIAGHATA, CALCUTTA,
August 15, 1947
MY DEAR AGATHA,
This letter I am dictating whilst I am spinning. You know, my
way of celebrating great events, such as today’s, is to thank God for it
and, therefore, to pray. This prayer must be accompanied by a fast, if
1 Vide “Interview to H. S. Suhrawardy”, 11-8-1947.
2 According to Mahatma Gandhi—The Last Phase, “realizing that Suhrawardy
was not at the prayer meeting, some of the young men. . . went shouting for his blood
towards the house and stone-throwing began again. . . . Prayer over, Gandhiji
returned. . . He rebuked them for their attack on Suhrawardy. . .‘He will not be able to
stick to me if he is not sincere. . . .’ After a time when he had got them into a mood to
listen to Suhrawardy, he beckoned him. . .” Suhrawardy’s unequivocal admission of
responsibility for the ‘Great Calcutta Killing’ . . . had a profound effect on the
crowd. ‘It was the turning point,’ Gandhiji afterwards remarked. ‘It had a cleansing
effect, I could sense it.’ ”
VOL. 96 : 7 JULY, 1947 - 26 SEPTEMBER, 1947 231
the taking of fruit juices may be so described. And then as a mark of
identification with the poor and dedication there must be spinning.
Hence I must not be satisfied with the spinning I do every day, but I
must do as much as is possible in consistence with my other
appointments.
I got through Amrit your first letter at 4 o’clock in the
morning. I have through her your second letter. This has been
brought by Rajaji, the Governor of West Bengal. Rajaji could not
afford to come himself. The Government House is surrounded by a
huge admiring crowd. He is, therefore, a prisoner in his own house.
He sent his secretary with Rajkumari’s packet.
You refer me to Winterton’s speech, which you will be surprised
to learn, I have not read.1 The speeches during the debate on the
Independence Bill, I was not able to read. I rarely get a moment to
read newspapers. Some portions are either read to me or I glance
during odd moments. What does it matter, who talks in my favour or
against me, if I myself am sound at bottom? After all you and I have
to do our duty in the best manner we know and keep on smiling. Rest
from the papers. I am about to finish my spinning. Therefore I must
think of other things.
My love to all our friends. I was glad to find that Carl Heath was
well enough to preside at the gathering described by you.
How I wish I could tell you all about the happenings here.
Perhaps Horace will. He was with me for a few days. He left me only
last night.
Love.
BAPU
MISS AGATHA HARRISON
OLD JORDAN’S HOSTEL
NEAR BEACONSFIELD BUCKS, S. W. II
From a photostat: G. N. 1528; also Mahatma Gandhi—The Last Phase, Vol. II,
p. 372

Thanks Yadavji for detailed information.

Gandhiji was not at all happy in that moment. In fact he was in heavy tension. Another fact in the in the Hisotry is -  Mahatma Gandhi has not participated in the 1st Indian independence day celebrations. He went to Bangal to face the religious riots and to bring harmony between these two religions. Never Mahatma  Gandhi was happy. In fact he was so restless so he could not even stay at Sabarmati Ashram or he could see the celebrations. He went Noakhali where the severe madness and killings were taking place. He stayed in those villages he went and talked with them in those areas. Bangal villages were in full fire. He was warned requested to go back but he wanted to bring peace at any cost so he went by village by walk to face the religious terrorism face to face. -

RSS

GandhiTopia is a free service by GandhiServe Foundation. You can support GandhiTopia by a donation or by buying our GandhiTopia products.

Thank you!

GandhiTopia Store

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by GandhiServe Foundation.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service